True North Gear is a growing Protective Gear & Clothing company located in Seattle Washington. We are seeking an Associate Technical Product Designer for Wildland Fire Packs & Gear. This individual will complete specific product design steps associated with new product creation and improvement. You will be responsible for the pattern creation for new products and pattern revisions for design updates to existing products as well as creating and maintaining product Tech Packs in addition to technical work tasks such as the creation of product Bill of Materials, product tags, and labels.
You need the ability to project manage diverse deliverables that support the Product Development team and the company. You must enjoy having a variety of responsibilities and be able to make confident decisions and proactively solve problems with minimal oversight. The core purpose for every True North employee is to create the “Joy of a well-made thing” by making products that provide great satisfaction to the customer.
This position offers the opportunity to challenge yourself and see your contributions have positive impact on the women and men that put their lives on the line to protect and serve our communities. Please ensure that your background and qualifications are well-aligned before applying.
What we do:
True North Gear designs and makes high-performance gear and clothing that protects and saves lives.
Here’s some of what you’ll do if hired for the Associate Technical Product Designer for Wildland Fire Packs & Gear role:
- Create and print patterns
- Sew or coordinate prototype manufacturing to design specifications
- Create bills of materials for new products and maintain or make updates for existing products
- Create content for tech packets
What you’ll need to bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree in Product Design or two+ years relevant work experience to include pattern making and technical product design.
- Pattern development skills.
- Understanding of sewing construction methods and the ability to cut, sew and build samples.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word) and design software (ex. Optitex or Gerber).
- Able to be physically on-site/in-office 3-4 days per week.
- Able to stand and move around a cutting table and handle materials weighing as much as forty pounds.
- Able to provide proof of full vaccination status against COVID-19 virus
- Goal-oriented pro-active self-starter with ability to work independently.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to be flexible and responsive to changing priorties.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and exceptional customer service orientation.
- Deep sense of ownership and passion for creating joy for the customer.
- Excellent project management, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills.
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, as well as superb organizational skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Eagerness to learn new skills and take on new tasks to grow in this role.
- Team-orientation with a commitment to the success of all.
Nice to Haves
- Background in Pack & Gear development.
- Background in Protective Clothing development.
Still reading? Then we think you should apply?
In addition to a positive and flexible work culture, we attract, retain, and motivate exceptional people with an equitable and competitive compensation package. The anticipated hiring range for this exempt position is $55,000 to $65,000. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes 80% paid medical/dental/vision coverage for employees, a 401k retirement plan with match, generous and flexible paid time off, and support for ongoing professional development.
For the safety of our employees and the vendors we work with, and the public we service, True North Gear has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy and employment requires proof of vaccination.
True North Gear is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law. We welcome all candidates from a wide range of backgrounds who have the skills and are passionate about our work.